Skip to main content

when everything is right, but doesn't fit

Looking back at the last blog post, I was terribly depressed. As I had expected, I didn't get into any medical college and instead found a tolerable Bsc Hons course which I joined. I wasn't terribly happy back then, and certainly not satisfied with my life.

July 2015
I entered college as a mess. I certainly might have seemed calm and confident outside, but inside, I was a self doubting, under-confident mess. It didn't help that though my course was one of the best, the college wasn't very much so. An off campus college, very far away from home- nobody I knew had even heard of Acharya Narendra Dev College. For a long time I couldn't even find people I really, really liked over there; which was very upsetting since I was losing touch with my school friends.

Then ECPDT happened. It was a "personality development through theatre" course I joined just for the sake of doing something other than academics in college. I didn't know then that I would meet people there who would turn out to be my very close friends, I didn't know then that I would meet Ajay Sir....a teacher like no other. He went on and changed my whole life. I know it sounds dramatic and unbelievable- but trust me when I say that I am a changed person because of him. I had a very basic flaw- I didn't believe in myself. I won't say I have totally overcome but I have certainly come a long way- and the journey started with ECPDT.

During ECPDT, two things happened. One, I got screened for my college editorial board; hence joining something I loved beyond everything. And two, I auditioned for the Annual Theatre Production of my college. They were the first theatre auditions I gave. To be honest, I was so exhilarated with the fact I had summoned up enough courage to audition that it didn't really matter whether I got it or not. But I did get it....and it did wondrous things for my confidence. ATP was another lifetime experience.

I wouldn't lie, after ECPDT and ATP ended, my life seemed to deflate a bit. I was sad once again....things I'd stored away in my mind were threatening to come back. Sometimes they did, sometimes I blocked them.

Now I'd found confidence, I'd found that I had abilities I never knew I had, I'd found good friends in college, I'd found people who loved and respected me. But was I happy? No. I really don't know why...it was a lingering thought in my mind "You aren't happy".

Recently, I stood for the very first elections in my life, and won. I am now the Joint Secretary of Dhwani. The girl who didn't have even confidence to audition to become a part of this society is today a part of the council.I successfully landed a summer research fellowship in my college, which is a big deal. So, both co-curricular and academic achievements ought to make me happy right?

But it doesn't. Everything is in the right place. everything is as it should be. But it doesn't click, you know? I don't know what I'm searching for, I just know I need something that fits well within me....and makes me happy and satisfied.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Ever since I first entered the Harry Potter world, I was taken by the sheer charm of it. I loved every minute of the journey. While I was terribly sad when it ended, I wasn’t dissatisfied. The characters were incredibly developed. We saw them growing up, even if we did not actually grow up with them (people like me who read the series in a matter of weeks). We knew their flaws, we knew their greatness. And we’d seen them acquire these. I can’t stress this enough- we knew all the characters so deeply that we could have stated what they’ll do/say in a situation exactly. There was no rush. The story spanned 7 years and Rowling took it forward at a brilliant pace. Everything was told as it was, clearly with details. As the storyline developed, the characters grew and developed and we came to identify with them. There were no “how is this possible?” or “that is too farfetched” or “where did that come from?” moments in the story. Every concept was superbly explained and executed.

DIE- Death Is Expensive

A Tribute                               Khuswant Singh wrote, "People can be divided into givers,takers,suckers and spongers" . My late nanaji, Mr. Rajender Jha was the biggest giver i met in my life. Nani tells me that he used to give his whole monthly salary to the poor even though they weren't very well off themselves and the whole family would then have to spend the month cutting their costs. He was a police officer, a man devoted to public service in the true sense of the word. The most royal person ever. He lived grand. And he died grand. He went on to the heavenly abode last year. There was grief on his death but we had all seen it coming. Had even prayed for it. Its difficult to see your loved one bedridden for a year. Unable to do anything on his own, struggling to live  just so because his family wanted him to. Ever read Shakespeare's Seven Ages poem? Nanaji perfectly described man in his last stage of life, in his second childhood....unable to do

Willing.

I recently came across a poem I’d written way back in 2012. At that time, it was based purely on imagination- as I imagined what it would feel like when a bond broke. Today, I know that feeling. Here is the poem, raw as it was written in 2012. It is not very refined, but it is what it is and I am what I am. As I stand in the rain, The water washes away my pain And I smile remembering the good old days. As I stand in the rain, The water sweeps in the drain And I sigh remembering the nearly caught train. As I stand in the rain, I watch a passing dame And I laugh remembering the jokes which were so lame The rain stops, And the world moves on. But I keep standing there, Remembering the life we used to share. The world shouts at me, Tell me it’s high time I forgot. But I know I just can't As I stare at the ring you bought. It has a forget-me-not on it, And as I watch, it begins to lit. You told me to keep it always with me, As we s