Skip to main content

I just wanted to say, "It's a beautiful day to save lives" and smile to the world every once in a while.

Today, while I sit and write this, I feel completely changed. I am not the person I was a few months ago. Now I've seen failure. Now I know what it is like in the real world, in the world outside my school. Now I have an uncertain future.

No, I've not had the dream of becoming a doctor since forever. On the contrary, the people who've known me since childhood will tell you how I've always hated this profession. To be honest, I still do. I hate going to a doctor. I have a bias against them. A bias which has formed over the years, hearing various stories of drudgery and cheating. Today I honestly can't remember why I decided to become a doctor. Maybe it was because my nearly perfect world was shaken when a friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer and my Nanaji died due to multiple diseases. Maybe it was because I wanted to prove to the world, to myself, that I can do it. That I can study the toughest course and emerge victorious. Maybe it was because I wanted to help people, save lives and basically, make a difference. Maybe I just wanted to say, "It's a beautiful day to save lives" and smile to the world every once in a while. Maybe I simply wanted my parents to proudly say, "Our daughter is a doctor". Maybe I just want to see/hear 'Dr. Shrutika Jha'.

But I failed. I failed miserably. I don't know why. I thought I was doing enough, you know? Much more than somebody would expect me to. But what I forgot was that I had much much more expectations from myself than what people had from me. My parents believe I did all I could. Maybe I did. But I hope I didn't. Because if I did my best and still didn't succeed, then something is terribly wrong with me. No, I would like to believe that I did not do my best, I would like to believe that I can do better. But it's hard. Keeping up this belief is very, very hard for me. Especially now.

Yes there are still quite a few exams to give. But I failed the most important ones. And frankly, what really bothers me is not the loss of opportunity to become a doctor. What bothers me is that this incident(s) has totally ruined my self confidence. I'm no longer sure of anything I do. I no longer trust myself. I no longer believe in myself. Future accomplishments aside, I've even begun doubting my past. After giving the Board exams I was pretty much satisfied by my performance (well, except Physics and Maths ofc). But now, now I doubt it. Did I really do well or did I just think that I did? Surely I couldn't have. Whatever result comes, a part of me is ruined forever. I don't think I will ever be able to say that I did well after I give an exam, even if I do. 

No, I don't want to hear that everything happens for a reason. I don't want to hear that failure is important in life. However true these statements might be, to me all these are excuses and pretenses to make me feel better. I don't want to be told that I should not be sad. How can I not be sad? How can I forget my dream? How can I forget that I failed in the very first thing I set out to achieve? At this moment, I struggle to find a happy thought. Alright, I know many people will say that I am lucky I've family and friends who love me. I know that. But that won't help me become a doctor, will it? You say that's not important enough? Well it is for me. It is extremely important to me. Not being a doctor, no. Achieving this. I can't handle failure, I just can't. I know I've an ego problem, but I can't help it. Maybe the world will forget in a month or two that I failed. But I won't. I know I won't. And I can't live like that. I just can't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The lost days.......

 Where did my childhood go? It went to some forgotten place, That is hidden in an infant’s face, That’s all I know.                                                                                       -          Marcus Natten I know i am not 25 or something and i havent really "lost" my childhood but i am trying to imply something else over here.  When we were small kids, like really small, it wasnt a crime holding a boy's hand. It wasnt a disgrace to walk or sit with your guy friends. When we were small kids, we could talk to anyone and everyone endlessly. On any topic. At that time we didn't stop to think whether we were offending someone or not. All were our friends....no hatred....no enemies..... When we were small kids, we had a lot of things to do.....which were actually fun. Our sole aim used to be to play. And not to worry about the approaching tests. We could concentrate on understanding. Hell, learning was actually fun! When we were small k

when everything is right, but doesn't fit

Looking back at the last blog post, I was terribly depressed. As I had expected, I didn't get into any medical college and instead found a tolerable Bsc Hons course which I joined. I wasn't terribly happy back then, and certainly not satisfied with my life. July 2015 I entered college as a mess. I certainly might have seemed calm and confident outside, but inside, I was a self doubting, under-confident mess. It didn't help that though my course was one of the best, the college wasn't very much so. An off campus college, very far away from home- nobody I knew had even heard of Acharya Narendra Dev College. For a long time I couldn't even find people I really, really liked over there; which was very upsetting since I was losing touch with my school friends. Then ECPDT happened. It was a "personality development through theatre" course I joined just for the sake of doing something other than academics in college. I didn't know then that I would meet

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Ever since I first entered the Harry Potter world, I was taken by the sheer charm of it. I loved every minute of the journey. While I was terribly sad when it ended, I wasn’t dissatisfied. The characters were incredibly developed. We saw them growing up, even if we did not actually grow up with them (people like me who read the series in a matter of weeks). We knew their flaws, we knew their greatness. And we’d seen them acquire these. I can’t stress this enough- we knew all the characters so deeply that we could have stated what they’ll do/say in a situation exactly. There was no rush. The story spanned 7 years and Rowling took it forward at a brilliant pace. Everything was told as it was, clearly with details. As the storyline developed, the characters grew and developed and we came to identify with them. There were no “how is this possible?” or “that is too farfetched” or “where did that come from?” moments in the story. Every concept was superbly explained and executed.