Skip to main content

The lost days.......

 Where did my childhood go?
It went to some forgotten place,
That is hidden in an infant’s face,
That’s all I know.
                                                                                      -         Marcus Natten

I know i am not 25 or something and i havent really "lost" my childhood but i am trying to imply something else over here. 


When we were small kids, like really small, it wasnt a crime holding a boy's hand. It wasnt a disgrace to walk or sit with your guy friends.
When we were small kids, we could talk to anyone and everyone endlessly. On any topic. At that time we didn't stop to think whether we were offending someone or not. All were our friends....no hatred....no enemies.....
When we were small kids, we had a lot of things to do.....which were actually fun. Our sole aim used to be to play. And not to worry about the approaching tests. We could concentrate on understanding. Hell, learning was actually fun!
When we were small kids, there was unity...there was love. We did not trample over our friends, over our classmates to earn more marks. There was no cut throat competition. We were all one big family.
When we were small kids, like really small, life was effortless. Friendships were effortless. And hence the bonds were stronger.

But as we grew up, life started to complicate itself.
                                         
 When did my childhood go?
Was it the time I realised that adults were not
All they seemed to be,
They talked of love and preached of love,
But did not act so lovingly,
Was that the day!

We started forming opinions, we started thinking. And that's where the effortlessness finished.


Now that we are all grown up (according to the society!), having a guy best friend is a big NO NO. Frankly, i do not see the point of separate girls/boys colleges and schools in today's "modern" world. 

Now that we are all grown up, we have to think 10000 times before we speak. Because for all we know, we might be offending our best friend's cousin's neighbour. And oh, won't that be a horrible thing to do? In a world like this, people do not consider feelings. They only relate to the spoken words. They won't consider why one said that or whether he really meant that or not. He said something about me which i consider disgraceful? Well, friendship over. Matter finish. Is that right?

Now that we have grown up, we need to mug up like a parrot. The experiment we do doesnt matter. What matters is whether we drew the margins properly or not. The concepts we have understood don't matter. What matters is whether we are able to remember them by heart and copy paste in the exam or not.

Now that we have grown up, we have dual natures. We see the world with a competitive eye. We think everyone means harm to us. We are taught that life is a race. If you do not crush others and run fast, you lose. And once you lose, there's nothing worthwhile in this world for you. Or is it?

Now that we have grown up, a simple smile costs a lot. We make friends according to our benefits. We form bonds, but do not strengthen them. We make promises, but we dont keep them. We claim to love, but we don't mean it.

So, is life better once we grow up? Who would like to freeze at 18 now? I wouldnt! I would rather be 10 forever. An age where life is so simple....where you just have to live......where you just have to love.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Ever since I first entered the Harry Potter world, I was taken by the sheer charm of it. I loved every minute of the journey. While I was terribly sad when it ended, I wasn’t dissatisfied. The characters were incredibly developed. We saw them growing up, even if we did not actually grow up with them (people like me who read the series in a matter of weeks). We knew their flaws, we knew their greatness. And we’d seen them acquire these. I can’t stress this enough- we knew all the characters so deeply that we could have stated what they’ll do/say in a situation exactly. There was no rush. The story spanned 7 years and Rowling took it forward at a brilliant pace. Everything was told as it was, clearly with details. As the storyline developed, the characters grew and developed and we came to identify with them. There were no “how is this possible?” or “that is too farfetched” or “where did that come from?” moments in the story. Every concept was superbly explained and executed.

DIE- Death Is Expensive

A Tribute                               Khuswant Singh wrote, "People can be divided into givers,takers,suckers and spongers" . My late nanaji, Mr. Rajender Jha was the biggest giver i met in my life. Nani tells me that he used to give his whole monthly salary to the poor even though they weren't very well off themselves and the whole family would then have to spend the month cutting their costs. He was a police officer, a man devoted to public service in the true sense of the word. The most royal person ever. He lived grand. And he died grand. He went on to the heavenly abode last year. There was grief on his death but we had all seen it coming. Had even prayed for it. Its difficult to see your loved one bedridden for a year. Unable to do anything on his own, struggling to live  just so because his family wanted him to. Ever read Shakespeare's Seven Ages poem? Nanaji perfectly described man in his last stage of life, in his second childhood....unable to do

Willing.

I recently came across a poem I’d written way back in 2012. At that time, it was based purely on imagination- as I imagined what it would feel like when a bond broke. Today, I know that feeling. Here is the poem, raw as it was written in 2012. It is not very refined, but it is what it is and I am what I am. As I stand in the rain, The water washes away my pain And I smile remembering the good old days. As I stand in the rain, The water sweeps in the drain And I sigh remembering the nearly caught train. As I stand in the rain, I watch a passing dame And I laugh remembering the jokes which were so lame The rain stops, And the world moves on. But I keep standing there, Remembering the life we used to share. The world shouts at me, Tell me it’s high time I forgot. But I know I just can't As I stare at the ring you bought. It has a forget-me-not on it, And as I watch, it begins to lit. You told me to keep it always with me, As we s