Skip to main content

Expectations

Hello People! I know....its been a while....but school reopened and i became too busy in school exams. To top it, there are regular exams in my institution as well and not to forget, LOADS of homework which of course i didn't do in the summer vacation (will i ever learn? sigh....).

Anyways during the constant need to perform well in exams, i felt strongly about how much others expect from us, and even how much we expect from ourselves. So, i went through my poems and found one which i had written a while ago....it perfectly describes my state of mind right now.

Expectations, expectations,
Advises and suggestions everywhere.
Expectations, expectations,
Some are nice, but some are so unfair!

Parents expect us to be ideal children,
With no blundering around.
They want us to obey everyone
And maintain a respectful sound.

Teachers expect us to be ideal students,
Studying throughout the year.
They want us to be masters in all subjects,
From Algebra to Shakespeare.

Friends expect us to be ideal buddies,
Having fun and laughing all day long.
They want us to enjoy every stupid game with them,
From Hail the King! to Ding Dong.

Lovers expect us to be ideal mates,
In their joy and misery too.
They want us to shower our love on them,
And never ever argue!

Neighbours expect us to be ideal companions,
And obey their every single demand.
They come to us asking for stuff,
And self-invite themselves unplanned!
  
But amidst all these expectations,
Where are we?
Do we have enough time for ourselves?
I don’t think so, and I bet you agree!

So, it's time to think about what you like
And then consider other options.
We need to control our mind,
We need to control our actions.

Coz believe it or not,
We have expectations from ourselves too.
And we strive hard to fulfil them,
That’s totally true!

We expect ourselves to be an ideal person,
With no bad qualities at all.
We want us to live up to every expectation,
No matter how small.

But at the end of the day,
It's our life to live!
So we shouldn’t waste our time living for others,
Coz we won't get these precious moments to relive!

So friends, it's high time we stopped listening to others
And started listening to our hearts.
Coz it always tells the truth,

The best advice it imparts!

But as its rightly said, "Easier Said Than Done." I may be the one to advise everyone to listen to their hearts, but then i m also the one who gets the most stressed. No my parents don't force me and neither do my teachers (well, some of them). The need to be perfect has been instilled in my own heart. Now its so dominant that i cant handle failure. Yes i know that's a terrible habit and believe me, I am trying my best and have even succeeded a bit. But still, trust me, its not easy at all. Many might consider 91.6% very good marks to get in the Medical Stream in 11th. I don't. Many might consider getting the 26th rank among 300 students a very big thing....I prefer more than this. I know many might say I am being irrational. But the truth is that i have grown up like this. Being in the top 3 in class. Getting 10 CGPA. I will be the first one to say that marks are not the end of life but then again, you cant just shut your eyes and believe what you want to. Its a competitive world. There is cut throat competition. A lot of students and limited number of good colleges. You have to instill in you the urge to top or u will be nowhere in this world. Thats what i have heard always and thats what i really believe. And even as i write this, whats actually going on in my mind is that i have a test day after tomorrow. And that reminds me, I took out this time to study, not to write! Yikes......bubye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Ever since I first entered the Harry Potter world, I was taken by the sheer charm of it. I loved every minute of the journey. While I was terribly sad when it ended, I wasn’t dissatisfied. The characters were incredibly developed. We saw them growing up, even if we did not actually grow up with them (people like me who read the series in a matter of weeks). We knew their flaws, we knew their greatness. And we’d seen them acquire these. I can’t stress this enough- we knew all the characters so deeply that we could have stated what they’ll do/say in a situation exactly. There was no rush. The story spanned 7 years and Rowling took it forward at a brilliant pace. Everything was told as it was, clearly with details. As the storyline developed, the characters grew and developed and we came to identify with them. There were no “how is this possible?” or “that is too farfetched” or “where did that come from?” moments in the story. Every concept was superbly explained and executed.

DIE- Death Is Expensive

A Tribute                               Khuswant Singh wrote, "People can be divided into givers,takers,suckers and spongers" . My late nanaji, Mr. Rajender Jha was the biggest giver i met in my life. Nani tells me that he used to give his whole monthly salary to the poor even though they weren't very well off themselves and the whole family would then have to spend the month cutting their costs. He was a police officer, a man devoted to public service in the true sense of the word. The most royal person ever. He lived grand. And he died grand. He went on to the heavenly abode last year. There was grief on his death but we had all seen it coming. Had even prayed for it. Its difficult to see your loved one bedridden for a year. Unable to do anything on his own, struggling to live  just so because his family wanted him to. Ever read Shakespeare's Seven Ages poem? Nanaji perfectly described man in his last stage of life, in his second childhood....unable to do